Being a project manager is one of the most recognized professions in North America. It is also one of the most demanding managing tight deadlines, changing scope, large teams, demanding stakeholders and difficult sponsors. The rewards are worth it, if you have your PMP designation, your earning potential will be higher (20% on average - Project Management Institute, Inc.), work experiences are much more diverse and career advancement increases.
Getting your team to deliver the next big project or pipeline of project is even more demanding. If you want your team to be delivering on a higher plane, we can tailor a plan with you to improve your team knowledge, cohesiveness and and productivity to deliver your next project or program. At PM Academy, we will provide you with industry leading coaching customized to your goals to be a better team, department and organization.
Corporate Training Details
Our project management corporate training is specifically designed to provide training based on your organizational needs. Each company is different, for you, training will focus on where your team is and where you need to be to deliver the next big project, program or product. We will determine your needs as an organization - project management fundamentals, PMO development, agile project delivery, PMP Prep - and create a game plan with you to delivery the training.
We will not only help you be a better project team, we will make your organization better, providing the latest thought leadership and lasting insights into how to delivery projects that create lasting value. Our blueprint is built upon the following essential capabilities and strategies depending on where you need to improve your team:
Project Management Fundamentals - Team or Department
Project Management Fundamentals is tailored towards teaching a team of project managers or team members the fundamentals of project management. Our objective is to provide a sound foundation of project management best practices to improve your team's delivery of projects and programs:
- How to initiate, plan, execute, manage and close projects
- Effectively scope projects
- Develop a proper schedule and budget to manage throughout the project lifecycle
- Manage stakeholders, team members, other departments and sponsors
- Project communication and expectation management
- Proper change control
- Risk and issue management
- Quality control
- Project business cases and return on investment
- How to manage a portfolio of project or product development
PMO Maturity - Team or Department
PMO Maturity development is designed for a PMO team to understand where on the organizational project maturity model your delivery is and develop a game plan to improve your maturity. Our objective is to provide a sound foundation of measurement and improvement steps improving your team's delivery of projects and programs:
- Understanding of The Organizational Project Maturity Model (OPM3)
- Establishing a baseline of where your organization is on the maturity model
- Development specific improvements to improve your maturity based on your goals
- Develop team member competencies
- Develop/improve project management processes
- Provide the necessary tools, deliverables and techniques to improve
- Measure the desired outcomes
Agile Project Delivery - Team or Department
Our Agile Project Delivery Training is for teams that are either starting out on an agile project delivery framework or are delivering agile projects but know improvements can be made. Our objective is to make your team awesome agile practitioners, providing the latest thought leadership and lasting insights into how to delivery agile projects quicker, faster and leaner while delivering outstanding products or services. Our blueprint is built upon the following essential capabilities and strategies:
- What is the agile philosophy, how does it compare to traditional project management
- How to start and plan an agile project
- Sprint 0 - The planning phase
- Establishing a backlog, prioritization user stories and backlog grooming
- Sprints - how to prioritize stories, create a story board, manage stories in a sprint and close off stories
- Meetings - sprint planning, retrospective and showcase
- Roles - scrum master, product owner, team members
- User stories - how to write a good user story
- Selling agile projects - getting the organization behind the agile philosophy
PMP Certification Exam Prep - Project Managers
Our PMP Certification Exam Prep course is specifically designed to not just help you become certified. Our objective is to make you a better project manager, providing the latest thought leadership and lasting insights into how to delivery projects that create lasting value. Our blueprint is built upon the following essential capabilities and strategies:
- Why are you so awesome? Why do companies need project managers
- Provide an initial outline - a life of a project and managing it
- Review the 5 PMBoK process groups
- Thoroughly explore each of the 10 knowledge areas
- Examine other relevant disciplines
- Provide practice examinations to “test your knowledge”
- Provide additional hands-on learning tools
- Provide hints and tips for writing the exam
- Workshops and hands-on case studies
Typical desired outcomes for corporate training are:
- PMO development and improve project maturity level. Develop a PMO, improve the project maturity level within the organization and provide the tools and templates required
- Manage projects better. Your team will understand how to initiate and plan a project, use proper techniques to scope and estimate tasks, manage a budget, work with teams, escalate risks, prepare project status reports
- Agile project delivery. Be masters at delivering agile projects using springs, user stories, product owners, proper sign-offs and delivering a minimal vialable product (MVP) faster
- Be effective leaders. Lead teams by outlining the goals and visions of the project, delegation, inspiring others to follow, communicating effectively, setting ground rules, being confident and being honest and humble
- Have emotional project intelligence. Understand being a project manager is much more than managing a project plan, 90% of project management is communication managing expectations, influencing others and negotiating trade-offs
- Manage teams, stakeholders and sponsors. Know how to manage your team, project stakeholders and sponsors effectively to deliver the project and maintain customer expectations
- Increase the respect of project delivery within your organization. Demonstrate the ROI of project delivery to your boss and executive management
Who should register for corporate training?
- Working hard, but their portfolio of projects are not delivering the expected outcomes
- Having too many conflicts within team members, stakeholders and unhappy clients
- Ready to embark on a big new program or set of projects and are unsure where to start
- Want to try agile project delivery but not sure where to start
- Dissatisfied with their PMO – or lack of – and would like a clear strategy for how to move forward and get to the next level
- Feels overwhelmed and stressed and would like increase their levels of fulfilment and competency
- Would like their project managers to become a more engaging and inspirational leaders: increase confidence, drive and gravitas
Free corporate training assessment
- Initial corporate training assessment is free
- Based on your requirements, we will provide a proposal and budget estimate
Every company wants their project delivered faster, cheaper and better. The problem is not many companies know how. I do. That's what makes project management and project managers so important. Companies need you, they need project managers.
My name is Rob Johnson, I earned my PMP Certification in 2003 and have been teaching project management since 2005. If you want to pass your exam, learn how to become a great project manager and have fun learning then sign-up for my courses, workshops or one-on-one coaching.
When I'm delivering projects, I ask "why"? Why is it being done, what will be the benefit and who does it impact? This applies to a single project or the entire IT program. I then focus on the nuts-and-bolts of a project leading team members to deliver what really matters that will transform the business – whether it is your next big e-commerce store or a core company application.
How did I start out as a project manager? After university, it seemed I was destined for a finance career, but instead, I started out as a project manager at Critical Mass the year before the dot-com bubble excitement. I’ve never looked back. I spent five years at Critical Mass honing my skills as a project manager and digital marketer working on Mercedes-Benz, Dell, Hyatt, and Las Vegas Visitor and Convention Authority (LVCVA) accounts. Let me assure you, what happened in Vegas can benefits your project.
I have a proven track record of delivering complex projects, ERP implementations, digital solutions and e-commerce websites with large team sizes, multiple stakeholders and big budgets. Go ahead, throw down serious project budgets, timelines and team sizes. The bigger the job, the more rewarding it is seeing it delivered.
I bring 18 years of project management experience to the classroom, I know project delivery and how to relate this to online courses, classrooms and coaching. Each day I will make you better than yesterday. I will work with you to pass your exam, be a better project manager, increase your earning potential and advance your career.